If you use vinyl cutter, then we are sure that if not often then at least in rare cases you face some problems related to printing or working of cutter. To help you here we have prepared a troubleshooting guide for you, to help you know what you are facing certain problem and how it can be solved.
Vinyl cutter troubleshooting tips
Issues: Why one side is cutting too deep and another side cuts too shallow?
You didn’t install the blade correctly. Blade must be inserted as deep as possible and blade tips should come out as little as possible.
Issues: Why letters seem to have ripples?
- Cutter holder is not installed tightly. Tighten screw.
- Cutting blade is of poor quality or it has been damaged. Replace it.
- Cutting speed is too fast. Except for cutting large letters, speed should not go beyond 480 mm/s.
Read more: Best vinyl cutting machine >> http://first-reviews.com/best-vinyl-cutting-machines/
Issue: Why different letters on the same line are cut to different depths?
- Cutter blade is not firmly set in the holder.
- Cutter holder is not firmly attached. It should be tightened.
Issue: Why letters are broken or some parts of the letters are missing?
- The vinyl is too tightly wrapped or too heavy. Possibly metal roller is soiled by vinyl chips or some foreign substance.
- Cutter tip is too long, cutting force is too great or cutting speed is too fast.
- Pinch roller is under high pressure or synchromesh belt is too tight.
- Metal roller is faulty. If metal roller is faulty get it replaced.
Issue: Why does the paper run deviation?
- The stickiness is not placed right.
- The platen is very dirty so that the resistance from two sides cannot be balanced when the paper is moving.
- The pinch rollers don’t match each other or have been deformed.
- The pressure of the pinch roller is a little smaller and the paper is highly sensitive to the outer force.
- The balance of the stickiness weight is not very good.
Issue: Why does the machine plot abnormally?
- The software setting is not matched to the machine, so set right tool compensation value or adopt proper command set.
- The plotting software has suddenly broken-up.
- There is a virus in the PC/laptop or plotting software has been damaged.
- Check if the installed USB Driver is correct.
Issue: Why is the pattern incomplete or deformed?
- Either the blade tip is too long or maybe you need more pressure.
- This also occurs when the platen is too dirty or the stickiness is too soft. These things can increase the resistance in the two pieces of paper and make it fall behind the roller rotating, therefore resulting in deformed pattern.
- There is some issue in the software setting.
- The metal roller can’t correctly follow the motor running or the carriage belt is too loose.
- The motor is not able to run all the steps.
- The pattern is normal but incomplete; this may be due to too small tool compensation value.
Issue: Cutting dashes, dotted line or looks perforated
- This could occur due to damaged cutting strip. Groove in strip that results in uneven cutting surface.
- Too much exposure of blade builds friction as there is not sufficient space between the material and the blade.
- Replace cutting strip.
- Reduce blade depth.
Issue: Not cutting material
- Not enough blade pressure/force
- Dull blade
- Set blade pressure/force for the type of material being cut.
- Replace blade.
Issue: Cut line tapers off and not cutting towards the end of the job.
- Blade holder not secured properly in tool holder.
- Dull blade.
- Make sure blade holder is secured in tool holder.
- Send smaller jobs and check blade force/pressure occasionally by weeding a piece off occasionally.
Issue: Not cutting corners in a right way
- Offset setting is wrong.
- Change the offset setting.
- Flagged corner: offset setting is too high
- Rounded corners: offset is too low
We hope you will found these troubleshooting tips for vinyl cutter helpful and effective. So, when facing any of the above mentioned issues, try the above mentioned relevant solutions and start using your vinyl cutter effectively again.